Monday, December 04, 2006

"Are you ticklish?"

For the first time (that I know of), I've decided to write about an awkward thing I said to a girl who reads this blog. I was pretty nervous about how she'd take it, and plus this is probably the most embarrassing thing I've ever posted, so I called her to talk to her first.

I bet you'd like to listen in, wouldn't you? Fine, twist my arm. Here's what I remember of the interesting part.

"Listen, a few weeks ago when I visited you and stayed at your dorm . . ."

Timeout. Yes, I said dorm. But she's a senior. That's all I'm going to say about that. Okay, time in.

". . . I did something awkward that I want to write about on my blog."

"What?" I think that's what she said. She might as well have said, "Which one?"

"Well, the thing was, I thought you were adorable and cute, and I wanted to increase the amount of physical contact that was happening, so, that's why I tickled you, and I think it's funny, so I'm going to write about it if that's okay with you."

Seriously. I'm 25 (and a half) years old. I work in middle management for a Fortune 200 company. I like football and beer, and over the summer I grew an outstanding beard, if I do say so myself. I know that tickling is a super amateur move once you are out of, oh, kindergarten.

But three weeks ago, there I was, getting ready to go to sleep on the floor of this girl's dorm room. I think it was the second night I spent there. I thought about how cute she was, and how nice of a girl she was, and how I wanted to flirt with her more, and before I could think about it I reached over, (very rudely, you could say) poked her in the side, and asked:

"Are you ticklish?"

5 comments:

Susan Howson said...

I'm going to start a competing blog called "Things You Could Have Said Instead That Would Have Been Way More Awkward," and the first entry would be that this episode is not so bad. You COULD have said "Do you like math/James Blunt/'happy endings'." Any of those would be way worse.

Maura said...

Whoa, lame. But, that's how Matt realized our first kiss. I totally called him out on it afterwards, but I guess it got the job done.

Unknown said...

The most awkward thing a boy has ever said to me was "how do you like your eggs, scrambled or fertilized?" I would have TOTALLY fallen for "Do you like math?"

Anonymous said...

I must say many guys who tried to get 'nearer' have tried the ticklish approach, including my current boyfriend (and we have been together for over 4 years now, still going). I think it works perfectly for its purpose. Nothing awkward ;)

Greg said...

That's awesome. So is this blog. Nice work.